Monday, February 22, 2010

Blob Analysis Introduction

I did a presentation on blob analysis a couple years back. I think it is an important topic that I enjoyed learning about. I covered blob analysis and a brief amount of morphology.  Another student covered that in depth so there is not too much info there.  Information on this topic can be found online, but actual algorithms for many of the ideas was tough to find.

Blob Analysis
    - This is taking an image, thresholding it to black and white (binary) only and then using this to make decisions or take measurements.

   Examples:
   Centroid - Find the center of a blob object
   Size - Find the size of a blob object
   Amount - Finds the amount of blobs in the image
   Extent - Find the extent of an image (usually grouping is a good method)

Morphology
   - This is used on a black/white image to enhance the image.  Of course you can apply some of these techniques to enhance the image prior to making the image binary (color or greyscale). 

   Examples:
   Erosion - This shrinks blob objects
   Dilation - This grows blob objects
   Watershed - This helps find edges
   Boundary Extraction - This helps find edges

I plan on going into each section in more detail when I get the chance.  For now here is the presentation that I made for my class. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment